Come on a quest with me to find ancient essential oils in archeological remains from over 4,000 years ago; meet an herbalist on the magical island of Aphrodite who has devised a signature fragrance for our mythical goddess of love; then travel to modern Germany to harvest and distill the cool weather oils: Melissa (Lemon Balm), Angelica, German chamomile, and more! Put yourself in my pocket and let's see what unexpected treasures we can find on our journey. (As with all blogs, please read from the bottom up. New posts are placed on top of earlier ones.)


Sunday, June 19, 2011

Kalamity Jane.

Sigh... Not sure why the phone alarm doesn't seem to synch with German time, but the alarm didn't ring and I awoke 20 minutes late. Quickly, I rinsed off in the shower, put my things together and headed out for the tram station a couple of blocks away. Huffing and puffing, with two medium sized rolling suitcases, I turned the corner just as the tram pulled way from the Graf Adolf Platz station. Sunday, all the shops are closed in Germany, and the trams have weird schedules. The next one didn't arrive for 20 minutes.

Main train station in Dusseldorf. Waiting and waiting for the train...
OK, made it to the main train station, found the right track and again had to wait 20 minutes. Three twenty minute delays left me rushing up to the check-in desk of Air Berlin about 5 minutes too late to make the flight. Although the agent was very understanding and helpful (she did call the gate to see if I could make it but they told her the suit case would not be able to be on the plane in time). "I'm very sorry Mrs. Mooore, but you will have to go across the way and rebook your flight." This series of time delays cost me 150 Euro and two extra hours. The French would say "Quelle domage!" I think I prefer the German "Scheisse!" which I won't translate :) I think Air Berlin and I are like oil and water. We just don't mesh! I know this episode is not their fault, but it does seem that my interactions with this airline have not been very smooth. I think I'll choose another one next time.

Another lesson from he past few days: just book the easiest route that gets you there as quickly as possible with as little fenagling as possible. Saving a few hundred bucks could cost you bigger in the end. It's certainly less hassle and headache. Thank goodness I don't make a living as a travel agent!

So, I'm sitting in the departure terminal waiting for the second flight to Munich. Teddi, send me those travel angels for the rest of my journey!!!

Photos from Dusseldorf:

In the main square.


A building in Altstadt.
Dusseldorf is a party kind of town. Young people like these beer wagons that ambulate by pedal power and blast beer-drinking songs as they tootle about.
The sun stays up late in the summertime in Northern Germany. It's around 9PM.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! Not a great way to wake up in the morning. You do not need to translate the German word "Scheisse" because it is one of Denise's favorite words in English & it fits your situation to a "T"! By the way, your travel angels are doing just fine because you could have lost your luggage somewhere or Air Berlin's computer system would have crashed (see United Air Lines yesterday) & you would have been stuck much longer or needing to spend more money. Just trying to show the brighter side. Keep your head up & a smile on your face!

    ReplyDelete