Come on a quest with me to find ancient essential oils in archeological remains from over 4,000 years ago; meet an herbalist on the magical island of Aphrodite who has devised a signature fragrance for our mythical goddess of love; then travel to modern Germany to harvest and distill the cool weather oils: Melissa (Lemon Balm), Angelica, German chamomile, and more! Put yourself in my pocket and let's see what unexpected treasures we can find on our journey. (As with all blogs, please read from the bottom up. New posts are placed on top of earlier ones.)


Wednesday, June 22, 2011

More Munich.

After the Asamkirche, I looked around for a store where I could buy a Munich t-shirt, not because I especially wanted the shirt, but because I was sweltering in my teal-colored turtleneck. The weather forecast had been for rain and chilly temps, but the morning at least was hot and muggy. I never did find a suitable souvenir shirt, but I finally ducked into a department store to purchase a plain, navy t-shirt. Phew! I won't be wearing that sweaty old turtleneck again on THIS trip!

Our group at the beer-garden in the Viktualienmarkt.

Then we headed over to the Viktualienmarkt, a sort of permanent farmer's market consisting of multiple booths surrounding a typical, German beer-garden.  We were all hungry, so we found a table and then fanned out to search for what we wanted for lunch. You can't be in a beer garden without a tall mug of beer, so I ended up going traditional once more. I may never look at wurst, sauerkraut, and beer again after I get home!

Following lunch and a brief rest, our group decided to split up. Some wanted to peruse the Residence Museum and others didn't. I didn't. By that time, I had seen so many museums, churches, and King's houses that I just wanted to hang out and shop. We all agreed to meet at a cafe on Maximillian Strasse at 5PM.

The fruit and veggie stalls beckoned me, especially a nearby one with big, fat, locally-grown, black cherries. I told the woman I wanted a handful, which she began to scoop into a bag. While I waited for her, I noticed some extra large, super orange, scrumptious-looking apricots. Reaching down into the box, I brought them out to to ask her to put them in with the cherries. Stall-lady about had a cow! Many of the booths have signs that warn (in German) "No self-service". To me, that meant, "Don't bag it yourself". I didn't realize that it actually meant, "No touching! Tell us what you want, and we'll pick out the produce for you." Yeech! We independent Americans want to choose our own fruits and veggies, not have to settle for the ones they want us to have. I don't even like shopping at stores that prepackage their produce (think Trader Joes). I buy things at the farmer's market, or in the bulk bins at the grocery store, where I can pick out the goodies myself!

From the cherry/apricot stand, I wandered across the way to a flower and nick-nack booth. Deep inside, behind shelves of flowers, plants, herbs, and handmade crafts, I noticed some bottles of essential oils with a 6.90 Euro price tag beneath. No way these are pure and authentic oils, I thought. This will be instructive for my students. So I took out my camera and snapped a shot of the oils with the price prominently displayed. Another stall lady came unglued! "You have to ask me first before you take a picture!" she admonished loudly in German from behind some hanging pots. I just shrugged and pretended I didn't understand her :-) Sorry, just an ignorant tourist!
All oils less than 7 Euros, even rose!

Do we look like we care if you take our picture?
The next stall that caught my attention was an interesting one filled with jars and bags of spices. So colorful and fun! "May I take a picture?" I asked the young ladies in the booth. " Of course!" they answered, as if to say "Why are you asking US??" "Well, the other lady" ... I mumbled. And then I just took the picture. From then on I snapped whatever pictures I wanted and let the chips fall where they may!

Don't they look lovely?
An olive booth. Yum!

As I came to the far edge of the market, I noticed a stall of a biodynamic farm. Biodynamics is the form of agriculture devised and taught by Rudolf Steiner, the same man who came up with Waldorf education. I meandered in and began talking to the saleswoman, in a combination of German and English. On the shelf behind me was a collection of several essential oils, both singles and blends, so I asked her if they were biodynamic and if they distilled them. She said they were and they did, so I thought I'd buy at least one to take home to share with my class.

Unfortunately, there were no testers, so I just had to go on instinct. I chose a blend called "Sternen duft" (star scent). All the ingredients were in German and in very small type, so I decided to ask Dr. Schnaubelt about it later. When I did, both he and Monika were struck by all the caveats on the label. Apparently, there are so many new disclaimers and cautions that essential oil producers are required to place on their labels. No wonder the type had to be so small - to fit it all in! According to Kurt, the only ingredients on the label were three essential oil chemicals. It didn't say anything about the plant sources and there were no botanical names. We opened it to smell it and Kurt said: "It doesn't smell like anything". As I type this, I put a generous drop on my hands and sniffed them again. I have to agree. There is no discernible plant scent. It just smells a little citrusy and a little alcoholish. How disappointing! So much for biodynamic oils from the Viktualienmarkt! It might have been a better test if I had purchased one of the single oils...

It isn't easy being green. (Money helps!)
By this point, the clouds had started to form and the sky was becoming decidedly dark. Big droplets began to fall, so I got out my umbrella. Once I had seen as much of the Viktualienmarkt as I wanted, and ducked into a handmade chocolate shop for a truffle or two, I decided to double back to see if I could find a souvenir store. Back on Sendlinger Strasse I encountered a green clown standing stock still on a pedestal. Thinking I would take out my trusty camera for a quick snap, I turned back towards the motionless mime. Up go his hands in front of his face. Right. It was clear that he wanted some coins in the box on the ground before he allowed himself to be photographed. Another prima donna! In go a few coins and the mime is all smiles. Click! I wonder if the green color comes off in the rain...

Checking the map as I went. I managed to run into some of our group as they were leaving the Residence Museum. Looking starry-eyed, they assured me I had missed something really spectacular. Sigh... Ya win some, ya lose some!

Our dinner that night under dark, thunderous skies was at an Italian restaurant in an old neighborhood familiar to Kurt. Our bus-driver picked us up near the cafe where we all rendezvoused and took us all-round-Robinhood's barn to our destination. It felt good to relax and let someone else decide where we we were going. I ordered Apfelsaft and a light salad - a nice break after the heavy, filling, German food and beer I had for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment